Saturday, February 13, 2010

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...at Home Depot

Originally posted 22.February.2006

I had to stop at Home Depot on my way home this evening for some work related D.I.Y supplies. Quick in and out job, nothing major as I was eager to get home because I'm starved. 

Standing at the checkout with my gear, another queue opens up so I hop over to the next cashier who happens to be a little 86 year old man who has a look of perpetual suspicion on his face. He scans my choice items: 3 extra large heavy duty back belts (for my warehouse crew), 1 can of WD-40 (for getting stuck things loose) and a substantial amount of black electrical tape (for some hard wiring needed at an upcoming trade show). 

Judging by the scandalized look on his face, one can only assume that he concluded I was purchasing accoutrements for illicit sex acts I was about to engage in with three burly men...on a company credit card no less.  Not a bad way to spend one's evening, but not what I had in mind, at least not tonight.

I couldn't help myself. As I picked up my bag to go, I winked at the poor old man with his face in a permanent mask of disdain and said cheerfully "No worries, it's only illegal in three states!" I hope he didn't have heart failure as I made my way merrily across the parking lot.